care & maintenance of urban front exterior doors
Wood is a natural material and its aesthetic appeal and durability cannot be replaced by man made materials. With a little care, timber will outperform any substitute.
Most exterior solid woods will weather, and move and regular maintenance in terms of filing and refinishing is needed to keep your door in good condition over the years. All our doors are delivered factory finished with 300micron of clear UV protection lacquer, which will provide protection up to 5 years depending on exposure.
All woods are likely to bleach to a grey colour if they are exposed to ultra violet light and not protected by some sort of coating.
Your Urban Front door will arrive with a maintenance box that includes full fitting instructions, fixing screws, matching wood plugs, 3 security keys with an Urban Front key ring and half a litre of maintenance finish
Notes on maintaining your door
- - A general wiping off the surface of the door and frame with a damp cloth is required once a month to remove any dust, especial inside the groves and rebates.
- - Cleaning the mobility threshold or the on the bottom part of the door with a damp cloth is required every 6 month to remove any dust and mud.
- - Urban Front doors are manufactured with natural solid wood on both the exterior and interior layers. Very occasionally, it is natural that solid wood might develops minor splits. This needs to form part of the maintenance procedure by filling with matching flexible wood filler.
- - Maintenance coat should be applied every 5 years. In exposed positions maintenance might be required more often. Light sand and one coat of treatment is all that is needed.
Other notes regarding storage and fitting.
- - Store your door in a cool and dry area and keep it flat against a wall. Please make sure it is well fastened as it is very heavy. Otherwise you should lay the door on a completely flat surface.
- - Doors should not be hung in damp or newly plastered rooms or suddenly exposed to central heating or other forms of extreme direct heat.
- - We highly recommend that our doors should at least be protected by a canopy or porch and for more exposed areas; you should maintain your door more frequently.
Doors supplied without factory finish should be finished as per the coating information provided by the finish supplier. Urban Front coating warrantee on unfinished doors is excluded.
Please read in conjunction with our terms and condition
To order maintenance coating please call Urban Front on 01494 778787